Doug Bennett, M.Photog., Cr
DFW – March 21 – 22
Dabbling with photography back in the ‘70s, Doug didn’t really begin to pursue photography until 2003 when he bought a disposable film camera to photograph his tulips. With a rekindling of his passion for photography, he began a pursuit to learn how to capture images of the landscape that is all around us.
His love for landscape photography can be traced back to his childhood and family sightseeing vacations touring the western U.S. and Canada by car. These early experiences were further fueled by his father’s “Arizona Highways” magazines, which always left him in awe with its beautiful scenic images, particularly those of Josef Muench.
In his landscape photography, Doug learned that nature often makes her own expression and statement in ways that are unique to the scene and the moment. In many cases, this takes the form of unique lighting when nature is putting on her best show. From there, Doug works the image to put his own vision and expression into the scene with a goal of portraying his own emotional response to nature’s show.
Awards and Recognition:
- PPA 1st Place Grand Imaging Awards Landscape Category in 2017
- PPA 2nd Place Grand Imaging Awards Landscape Category in 2015
- PPA Imaging Excellence Award – 2016
- PPA “Diamond Photographer of the Year” – 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
- PPA “Platinum Photographer of the Year” – 2013
- PPA “Gold Photographer of the Year” – 2019
- PPA Southwest District 1st Place Landscape/Nature – 2015
- Professional Photographers of Colorado “Photographer of the Year” for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Professional Photographers of Colorado Annual Print Competition “Best of Show” 2011, 2012 & 2016
- “Best of Show” at the Louisville Art Association National Juried Photography Show in 2011 & 2012
- “Best of Show” and “1st Place” at the Lone Tree Photography Show, Lone Tree, CO in 2010 & 1st Place in 2012
- “Best of Show” at the Tri-Lakes Art Center’s “Visions of Light” Photography Show, Palmer Lake, Co, in 2010 & 2012
- 56 Exhibition Merits of which 50 merits come from Loan images as of the conclusion of the 2019 PPA IPC