Master Artist Rules
Please review thoroughly!
Please Note: TPPA Bylaws currently state that only TPPA Members are eligible to participate in the Annual TPPA Photographic Competition. Please log in to our TPPA Member Services site and confirm your membership in TPPA.
The purpose of this competition is to allow the entrant to demonstrate their art skills and expertise in pursuit of the PPA Master Artist degree (previously known as Master of Electronic Imaging degree). Entries will be judged for digital, artistic and technical proficiency. Entries can be created using digital or traditional art (such as painting and airbrush) or a combination of both. Through this competition, TPPA members are also eligible to earn trophies dedicated to Master Artist entries and TPPA Fellowship Points.
1. All entries must be registered at Printcompetition.com.
2. Entrants may submit prints, digital files or a combination for judging.
3. Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image (print or file) entered. NOTE: For print entries, the digital file submitted MUST match both the image and presentation. If, for example, the submitted print has a mat and the digital file does not show the mat, the entry will be disqualified.
4. No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
1. Entries may be reproduced from existing photographs, portraits, graphics or any other artwork so long as the entrant is prepared to provide appropriate written documentation indicating permission for usage. This documentation may be requested by TPPA before, during or after the competition. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the TPPA Photographic Competition Chairman, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law and cannot be proven otherwise, that entry shall be disqualified and merits revoked, if issued.
2. All processing, manipulation, artwork or rendering must be done by the entrant. Printing may be done under their direct supervision.
3. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
4. A maximum of eight entries may be submitted into the Artist Category, per entrant.
5. Only print cases with a minimum of 4 entries will be considered for Top 10 Print Case Awards and the High Print Case Awards.
6. No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed. Images created in an educational environment under direct supervision from an instructor are ineligible.
7. No two entries shall be of the same subject.
8. Entry media includes photographic prints or digital files.
9. Once an image has been awarded a score of 80 or above in any category of PPA competition or the TPPA Annual Photographic Competition, it may not be entered again in any other category. This includes any image from an album scoring 80 or higher.
10. Makers may choose to have their Artist entries judged digitally or with physical prints.
11. Entries in the Artist category shall include any subject and must have guide images.
12. Guide images, must be included on the submitted digital canvas or mounted/included on the face of the print.
Registration opens in May. All registration takes place at: printcompetition.com
Members may enter one case in the Master Artist and one case in Photographic Open Competitions, but may not combine images from the two competitions into one case.
– Images may be submitted in any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24″.
– Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foam, or Sintra). Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8″ to 3/8″. “Float” mounting is accepted at entrant’s risk for damage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
– No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
– A digital reference file must be submitted with each print entry. This file must match the submitted print entry, both image and presentation (if a real mat is used on the print, a reasonable facsimile must be used in the digital file). File specifications are the same as under the Digital Submission categories.
– If a print is submitted and correctly entered, the print will be judged.
– Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files will be accepted when necessary so long are they are JPG/10.
– Files are to be named, Image 1.JPG (No underscores or special characters)
DEADLINES AND FEES
– $59.00 Case Fee. Deadline is 5:00pm CST., June 24, 2017. Case Fee includes up to 4 images in any combination of physical and digital entries, and 1 Album entry – either physical or digital.
– $10.00 for each additional image added to the case with a maximum of 8 images and 1 album in a case.
– $20.00 late fee for cases registered on June 24, 2017 after 5:00pm CST.
– $10.00 per image for image critiques. Please allow 4-to-6 weeks following the completion of the competition.
All physical print cases must be delivered by Sunday June 25th, 11:00 am
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the TPPA Photographic Competition Chairman is final.