Please review thoroughly!
Please Note: The TPPA Annual Photographic Competition is open to all photographers, however, only TPPA Members are eligible for trophies and awards. Please log in to our TPPA Member Services site and confirm your membership in TPPA.
The purpose of the Photographic Open Competition is to allow photographers to enter digital photographic images and digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. Through this competition, TPPA members are also eligible for trophies, ribbons, and TPPA Fellowship Points.
These rules pertain to images entered as digital files created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured electronically with a digital camera or scanner:
1. All entries must be registered at www.printcompetition.com.
2. Entrants may only submit digital files for judging.
3. Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image entered.
4. No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
5. Once an image has been awarded a score of 80 or above in PPA District or IPC competition, or any previous TPPA Annual Photographic Competition, it may not be entered into the TPPA Annual Competition. This includes any image from an album scoring 80 or higher.
6. Entrants do not need to be TPPA members to compete in the Photographic Open Competition, however, only TPPA members are eligible for trophies and awards.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure or exposures.
2. All processing, manipulation and printing or rendering, were done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
3. The entrant has obtained and has access to all necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold TPPA harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of TPPA’s display, publication and promotion or other use of each image submitted to TPPA.
4. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
5. Entrants may enter more than one case.
6. A maximum of eight entries is allowed in the Photographic Open Competition.
7. A minimum of 4 entries is required to be considered for the Top Photographic Open Entries Award (Highest scoring average with a minimum of 4 entries in the PO Competition) and the Top 10 in Texas Award (Top 10 scoring averages from the overall competition). Album scores are included in overall case scores.
8. No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed. Images created in an educational environment under direct supervision from an instructor are ineligible.
9. Any entry that has been created from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted or displayed. (*Please see new Creative Open category for exceptions) If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the TPPA Photographic Competition Chairman, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law, that entry shall be disqualified.
10. New: Entries of the same subject in multiple images will be allowed, as long as the images are entirely different. (Background, location, clothing, and concept).
11. Entry media includes digital files, and digital albums.
Registration opens in February. All registration takes place at: www.printcompetition.com.
PHOTOGRAPHIC OPEN COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry.
PORTRAIT: Consists of portrait or wedding images.
ILLUSTRATIVE: Consists of commercial/industrial images, scenics, pictorials, digital paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and weddings are not appropriate for this category.
*CREATIVE OPEN: (NEW) Consists of images that have additional elements not created by the maker. All elements not created by the maker must be shown in a guide image. (All the other PO rules still apply with the exception that you may have addition elements in your image not created by the maker. These elements must be shown in a guide image. The purpose of this new category is to allow makers to enter some of their everyday images that may contain digital background or other elements that were previously not allowed. You will still need to have all releases necessary. The jurors will be instructed to evaluate the entire image but the elements that were created by the maker must still be merit worthy as well as the overall image.)
ALBUM: albums consist of social events, such bar mitzvahs, etc. or albums of portrait and storytelling albums.
MULTI‐MAKER EVENT ALBUM: Images in the album must be the work of the entrants (up to three), with a minimum of 20 images per entrant. Each entrant must individually enter the competition and pay appropriate entry fees. Multi‐maker albums will be judged as one entry.
– Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files will be accepted when necessary so long are they are JPG/10.
– Files are to be named, Image 1.JPG No underscores or special characters
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
See Video Tutorial: PPA.com/IPC_tutorials
All albums must be submitted in digital form
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
- Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album Title.zip (e.g. Summer Wedding.zip).
- Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
- Each entrant must use the same title when entering a multi‐maker album.
VIEWING CONDITIONS FOR IMAGE REVIEW
For color management help, see Video Tutorial: PPA.com/IPC_tutorials
- Digital Files: Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma
DEADLINES AND FEES
– Entry Deadline is 9:00pm CDT, March 27, 2020.
-TPPA is holding three competitions: Photographic Open Competition, Artist Competition and Wedding Competition. Entrants may enter up to eight entries in each competition.
-Entry Fee is $15 per image.
-Entries include any combination of digital entries and digital album entries.
– $10.00 per image for image critiques. Please allow 4 weeks following the completion of the competition.
Check out the entire list of awards from the TPPA Annual Photographic Competition.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the TPPA Photographic Competition Chairman is final.