Texas PPA holds three annual Image Competitions: Photographic Open, Artist, and Wedding (Download rules for each below). The purpose of these competitions is to allow the entrant to measure their skills against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image, as defined by the Professional Photographers of America. For more information on the 12 Elements of a Merit Image, please visit: A Fresh Look at the 12 Elements.
Click here to download the complete set of competition rules.
These rules pertain to all three competitions.
- All entries must be registered at www.printcompetition.com. There is a separate fee payable to PrintCompetition.com for use of their service.
- Entrants may only submit digital images for judging.
- Entrants may enter up to 8 images in each competition.
- A minimum of 4 entries is required to be considered for top entries awards.
- No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
- Images that are entered into PPA’s District Competition are also eligible for the TPPA Annual Competition provided the images are submitted to TPPA’s competition prior to the start of the District Competition.
- Once an image has been awarded a Merit in PPA District, IPC, or any previous TPPA Annual Photographic Competition, it may not be entered into the TPPA Annual Competition again. This includes any image from an album that has received a Merit.
- Entrants do not need to be TPPA members to compete in the TPPA Image Competitions. All entrants are eligible for Texcellence, pins, and ribbon distinctions, however, only TPPA members are eligible for trophies and fellowship points.
- All entries must have a Title, chosen by the maker.
- The entrant has obtained and has access to all necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold TPPA harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of TPPA’s display, publication, promotion, or other use of each image submitted to TPPA.
- The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
- Entry media includes digital files and digital albums. A case includes any combination of digital entries and digital album entries up to the maximum allowed in a case.
- No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment. All images submitted must be self-directed. Images created in an educational environment under direct supervision from an instructor are ineligible.
- Entries of the same subject in multiple images will be allowed, as long as the images are substantially different, including background, location, clothing, and concept. The same subject rule applies across all three competitions and all cases submitted by an entrant in a given year. For example, you may not use the same subject, background, location, clothing, and concept in both Photographic Open and Artist competitions. The same subject rule also applies to an individual image and an album (if that subject, background, location, clothing, and concept appears in an album, it cannot also be entered as an individual image.
- If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the TPPA Photographic Competition Committee, violates copyright, trademark, or any other applicable law and cannot be proven otherwise, that entry shall be disqualified and trophies, awards, and TPPA Fellowship Points revoked, if issued.
Digital Submission Specifications
- Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, the total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files will be accepted when necessary, so long are they are JPG/10.
- Files are to be named,
VIEWING CONDITIONS FOR IMAGE REVIEW
For color management help, see Video Tutorial: PPA.com/IPC_tutorials
- Digital Files: Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma
Digital Album Entry
See Video Tutorial: PPA.com/IPC_tutorials
All albums must be submitted in digital form
1. All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
2. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
3. An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
4. Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.
5. All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album Title.zip (e.g. Summer Wedding.zip).
6. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
7. Each entrant must use the same title when entering a multi‐maker album.